Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Shady Things Are Afoot at the Facebook K

So. A few hours ago, a Facebook friend of mine left a very long comment on the post I wrote about in my last blog post because he wanted me to get another black man's perspective. Basically, what he said was that nobody on my page did anything wrong except for the boy, who was overly sensitive about race. I'd show you, but shortly after, two things happened. First, when I got home and went to respond to the new comment, it was gone along with the entire thread of comments extending from the boy's original comment, and second, when I clicked on the link to my Facebook page to see what was there since the comment had been deleted, I saw a message that said something about the address being wrong or the page maybe having been removed--only it was still there. I mean, is. It is still there. I'm on it right now.

Initially, when I saw that the boy's comment had been deleted, my instinct was to post the entire thread here in screenshots (because of course I've got screenshots), but when I mentioned that to a friend of mine and she said I've already wasted enough of my time on this kid, I realized she was right. I know this kid is a misogynistic, racist bully, the hundreds of people who have read this blog in the past couple days know this kid is a misogynistic, racist bully, and my Facebook friends know this kid is a misogynistic, racist bully--among others who are learning this kid is a misogynistic, racist bully as we speak. In one of my favorite movies of all time, Rudy (cheesy as it may be, but I'm a sucker for a feel good flick), the college football star turned lawn maintenance man tells Rudy, In this lifetime you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself .

Point proved.

5 comments:

  1. Reverse racism isn't real but keep trying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The term is technically just "racism." But thanks for playing!

      Delete
  2. I frankly don’t know why you care so much about being “in the right.” Considering you’re employed in academia, I would think you’d be pretty darn receptive. To be quite honest, you’re only receptive to yes-men and your insulated friend group from what it seems like. The turn his comment made was bullying later on, but prior to that you mocked his sexuality, tried to half-ass out him - doesn’t seem like you’re any less of a bully. And it’s funny how this post is kinda about not needing validation, but it’s apparent you seek that “all my Facebook friends know he’s a racist mysoginistic bully.” Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I in no way mocked his sexuality. I asked a question completely relevant to the discussion; and I tried to out him as what? Asexual? That’s not outing. Outing is commensurate with gay. Also, I’d be receptive to what? His coming on my page and telling me to “check” myself? Maybe if he knew how to talk to people—or to me—we wouldn’t be here. And you’re really asking me why I need to be in the right when he posted a link to my previous post on his page weeks after the incident, after he deleted the whole thread so no one could see what was actually said, and thanked people for rallying around him? Are you kidding? He’s behaving like an attention-starved child, trying to escalate the situation. Maybe you should be questioning him and not me.

      Delete
    2. I’m not publishing your last comment since my last name is it, but I’ll respond. First, I’m sorry you lost your respect for me. I really am. But that’s where the sorry ends. I’m one hundred percent honest with myself. I know exactly what I said and why I said it. I even acknowledged that I asked if he’d ever experienced attraction to discredit him because if he hadn’t, he wasn’t qualified to speak on the subject. I don’t know if you saw the entire thread since he deleted it (which should tell you something in itself), but if you can’t see the distinction between telling someone you’ve always had the sense he’s asexual and forget the comment as vile as he attempted to be, but his talking about me on Snapchat, the bashing of me on the 2015 page, the continued discussion of me on his page, and the link to my blog, then you’re much less receptive than you accuse me to be.

      Delete