Thursday, May 31, 2018

I Brought My Pencil

Fetish definitely isn't the right word because I haven't ever found an instance of this to be to an abnormal degree, so instead we'll call it a thing, but did you guys know that an inordinate number of grown men have a teacher thing? I only ask whether or not you were aware because until recently I had absolutely no idea, and I've been a teacher for 20 years. It wasn't until maybe the last year when I started meeting so many people that what I at first thought was super weird and super rare actually isn't rare at all. 

(But I still think it's super weird.)

So I think it's super weird and the whole thing is nearly impossible for me to conceive because unless it was Sebastian Bach or Bret Michaels or Tom Keifer or Mike Tramp or a member of Motley Crue that wasn't Mick Mars, I would never ever have had any interest in a guy significantly older than me, and this thing is obviously rooted in some past incident grown men had when they were younger and in school. Well, I use the word obviously, but it's really not obvious at all. I know not one single thing about the human mind and something being obvious to me doesn't mean a thing. But I can still speculate.

In addition to speculating, I can also compare and come to realizations. One of the things I realized is that this teacher thing is very similar to what a lot of people call fetishizing but actually is not. As of late, I've seen a lot of people talking about how disgusting it is that X type of person is fetishized. What I can think about off the top of my head is how when a non-black girl at a recent gun march in Washington D.C. was holding a sign with a picture of Michael B. Jordan in a muscle shirt and written on the sign was something along the lines of These are the only guns I need, people on Twitter went insane. The fetishization of black men needs to stop was the theme amidst the craziness in which one camp claimed it was fetishization and one claimed it was not. Well, with all the wisdom I possess in my wisdom-filled brain, I'm here to tell you it was not. I'm also here to tell you that maybe that was a bad example because even though people called it fetishizing and it's not, that it's just liking a super cute guy's super nice arms, and Jesus Christ, why can't someone like the arms of a person who's another race without fetishizing going on, it's not really the same. Closer to the teacher thing would be someone who often likes Asian people or red heads or Asian people or bald guys or Asian people or super tall guys or Asian people or itty bitty girls or, I don't know, Asian people are in there somewhere. 

So I think about the teacher thing, and I think about people who like people of a particular race or weight or whatever specific thing, and I ask myself because in this case, them = me: Does this bother me? Does it bother me that while it won't make someone who has the teacher thing but has no interest in me at all suddenly my slave, it's definitely a source of sway? That it makes people who had a modicum of interest suddenly think that I'm hot? That because I'm a teacher guys I've gone out with have talked about classrooms and discipline and staying after school? I ask myself those things and I answer, and the answer is no, and lest you think I'm fine with it because I want people to want me, most people don't like to be objectified, not even me (if you're friends with me on Facebook you might remember when I stopped talking to a guy because he said I'm "smoking hot"). 

I'm fine with it because--well, you know what, I'm fine with it because, and that's just going to have to do. I'm fine with it because it's human nature to like certain things more than others, and despite the evidence to the contrary everywhere we turn, people do not have to look for reasons to get insulted or offended every single second of the fucking day, and goddammit if a guy wants to picture me with an Expo marker in one hand and an eraser in the other, is it really that horrible a thing? 

(No, the answer is no. But it's still super fucking weird.)

No comments:

Post a Comment