Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Is This What It Feels Like with My Wings Clipped?

Today was the last day of school, and I have to tell you, it didn't come a second too soon. I don't think I realized how tired I was until tonight, not only of school but just of my entire existence, and I'm definitely in need of a break.

In one of my favorite episodes of Buffy ever, Beauty and the Beasts, Buffy, who's dating Scott, her first new guy after she had to kill Angel in order to close a portal to hell, kind of wigs and, after she mumbles something vague and walks away, Scott's friend says, Check out Scotty liking the manic-depressive chick. Right this second, that's what I feel like: Buffy's Beauty and the Beasts depiction of the manic-depressive chick. I feel like getting into bed without even washing my face or brushing my teeth--and if you had any idea of my bedtime routine, you'd know that's really saying something; I mean, I won't because plaque and gum disease and disgusting bacteria breeding in my mouth plus pimples and dull skin and acceleration of the aging process; but I really do want to--turning on a playlist full of sad emo songs, curling up into an itty bitty ball, and never moving again.

I just want to be in a cocoon where wisdom teeth and jaw surgery and CT scans and broken doors and hope and building permits and walls covered with honey and health insurance and security guards and expectations and condo rules and doggie vaccinations and boys who don't text and boys who do text and awkwardness and overused iliotibial bands and sinks with dishes that regenerate like hydra heads and calories and impending AP trips and loneliness don't exist.

***

Buffy, from the time she learns she's the chosen one at sixteen until she's fortunate enough to activate every potential slayer in a long line seven years later, slays vampires and demons and countless dark, scary things. In my first ever published essay, Breakdowns, I talk about Buffy's life, and I talk about mine. Throughout my life, I've never had to slay vampires or demons or countless dark things, but throughout my life, I've totally slain vampires and demons and countless dark things.   

1 comment:

  1. I almost never leave a response, but i did some searching and wound up here "Is This What It Feels Like with My Wings Clipped?".

    And I actually do have some questions for you if you don't mind.
    Could it be just me or does it appear like some of these responses look as if they are left by brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are writing at additional online sites, I would like
    to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of all of all your
    social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    ReplyDelete