Monday, June 18, 2018

The Weight of the World Would Be Okay if It Would Pick a Shoulder to Lean On so I Could Stand Up Straight

Something I never thought I'd say: Holy Jesus, I wish that cute Korean doctor would leave me the fuck alone.

But looksie here, I'm saying it.

Since when I mentioned the Korean doctor to you once a few months ago I didn't tell you very much, let me give you the rundown super fast. We met on Tinder and started talking in February 2016, met in real life not long after, saw each other for a little over a month, text frequently and even (gasp!) talked on the phone, and then one day we were texting while he was at work in June (not being a real doctor. He was in medical school at the time), and both of us just stopped. I have no idea who text who last, I just know that he was the one who always initiated the texts and never sent me one again, and I wasn't interested enough to see what was going on.

On March 31 he messaged me out of the blue, and I swear he won't leave me alone. At first I felt like I had to be nice, so I entertained him when he made small talk, asking me about school and if I still run and telling me how much he enjoyed spending time with me when we were seeing each other. A few days in when he started getting overly flirty talking about when we used to have sex and pestering me to let him read my secret blog, I wasn't nice at all; in fact, on April 3 he said, "I'll leave you alone until we get comfortable again about being friends." I didn't respond.

He text again April 25 and was super strange and then on April 29 to apologize for the inappropriate text which was "unprofessional...and it was embarrassing." I didn't respond.

May 7 he text, just asking me how it's going. I didn't respond.

I shouldn't have responded when he text me on May 31, so in a way this is my fault, but I wasn't responding to be friends. He sent me a super long text asking for my opinion on school kid psychology for some research he was doing on school shootings. It seemed legitimate enough, so I answered back. No small talk, no okay, now we're friends, just my observations on students' mental health.

He text me again on Tuesday night, so that was what? June 12? I was in the middle of writing a blog and not thinking about what I was doing, so I answered him back. We didn't text for super long, just long enough for him to tell me he thinks about me from time to time, start reminiscing about my "sexual energy that borders almost predatory," ask me if I have a type, and tell me not to be a stranger and we'll grab coffee when I get back. I told him I had to go.

Last night, June 16, I'm texting someone else and he texts me again. This time all the sex talk is gone. He's majorly depressed. He's lonely and he's deflated and he's empty and he's sad and he can't focus. I tell him I feel sad and lonely all the time and he just has to learn how to cope so he asks me how to cope and he asks when it gets better and he says he wants it to get better soon and he sounds like a child but he's 28 or 29. So I tell him I lie down on the counter a lot and I listen to happy music and I run and I run and I run, and I tell him I tell myself that this is the life that I chose and sometimes it's really good, and when I'm telling him I'm asking myself how or why this is happening, I'm not even nice to him, how can I be the only person he has, how can he be desperately texting a girl he barely dated two years ago who clearly wants nothing to do with him, and then I realize he really must not have anyone so I have to be nice, and I know this is the opposite of nice but the Korean doctor I have no interest in at all is a responsibility I just do not want.

No comments:

Post a Comment